Today Apple released updated versions of their iPod line – the biggest update being for the iPod Nano which now sports some great media capturing tools:
- Camera for video (& images?), sync to YouTube via iPhoto
- Built-in microphone and speaker for audio recording
- Pedometer – good for exercise!
- Nike+ built-in
- FM Radio
So Apple now have a great media capturing device at an affordable price point for students. Like a ‘Flip’ video camera built into an iPod! Camera records at close to DVD quality (640×480, 30fps, H264). Audio includes AIFF, WAV, AAC, MP3 formats. So a potential staged implementation of WMDs for students could look like:
- students buy iPod Nano in Y1,
- iPhone in Y2,
- Mac ‘Tablet’ or MacBook in Y3…
New features include ability to remotely organise iPhone screens – i.e. organise apps.
Also Apple gave statistics on games for the iPhone – way ahead of PSP & Wii!!!